26 January, 2009

What we've been up to...

It's been busy as usual around here but we're always having a good time so I thought I'd just share a few fun things...
Friday night we went and say HSM3 at the dollar movies. Okay, I'll admit it. It was a pretty darn cute movie, very cheesey, but fun nonetheless. Most of all our kids really liked it and would have danced in the aisles had we allowed it.
Saturday we got up and Der and Nat went for a two mile run. Then we loaded up and went to the Ophir Tintic Model Railraod Show at Thanksgiving POint. It was SOOOOO much fun. If you want to see any of the layouts visit otwtrainclub.com and look at the 2009 gallery one photos.
There were amazing HO scale layouts, as well as "S" scale, and we even saw a small "Z" scale layout a man had built in a small leather briefcase. Ingenious!!! We had a great time.
We hurried home after and had chilidogs for lunch YUM!!! Then we watched a nail-biter Jr. Jazz game. They played their hearts out and even lead for a quarter (something they havd never done before!!) They ended up losing 15-19. But they played so well and it was a lot of fun!!
Earlier this week the boys and I had a great time building marshmallow towers. It doesn't get much better than toothpicks and marshmallows!!
Today Natalie had crazy hair day at school to kick off spirit week. Tomorrow is "Oldies Day" and everyone is supposed to dress up from the 80's. WHAT?!? This picture doesn;t do it justice, but it is a mowhawk made out of little french braid buns. There are stray hairs that are crimped too.
We are just about done with our room redo. We painted the walls and refinished the furniture. We took down the old levalor's(sp?) and hung new curtains. The shelf and the bed were built by Derek and he gave them to me for a wedding present nearly 15 years ago! We found the end table at DI and painted it to match. We also have a darling antique chest of drawers that Brandon and Andrea handed down to us several years ago. Um.. oh yeah the wing back chair is a DI find from a few years ago too. Have I ever mentioned that I love DI? I wanted to share a little information on the decor in this room because it is all so meaningful to me personally. We have a beautiful cross-stitch on the wall from Derek's folks (his mom's handiwork) and a really cool family tree on another wall that Brandon and Andrea gave us (Andrea's handiwork.) On the shelf is a Hansen's figurine that was my Grandma Joyce's and an old quad that was Derek's Dad's. There is also a vase from our Mexican Riviera Cruise (my all-time favorite vacation.) The bedding set was a steal thanks to my friend Alyssa and her good eye for a deal (and a coupon she parted with!) And finally the lamp that is on the end table is a beautiful Tiffany-style piece that Brandon and Andrea gave us severlal years ago with a lighthouse scene on the glass shade. We love this room and all the reminders it has of our family that loves us!! So all we have is some minor touch-up paint and to hang the Vinyl saying above the closet. This has been a rewarding project.

4 comments:

wjmom said...

Wow! It looks beautiful! How fun!

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

if only I were married to a wood craftsman! Your room is beautiful Becky. I have jealousy. I don't think I will ever get my bedroom finished, or a bedroom set or something of the likes for that matter, for a very long time.

Becky said...

I have to say, we've lived here for 12 years and every other room has gotten our attention. I'm glad we finally got around to our own bedroom. It was also nice to finally patch holes in the wall that were here before us...gross!

Natalie said...

The room looks great! I love the family tree.

So, you sound pretty schooled in the world of model trains. I wonder where you got that from? Oh yeah, you're Ric's daughter.