20 January, 2010

All things considered...

So remember the blog about "Bad Things Happen in Three's?" Well good things happen in four's. five's and six's! Washer died in September. Vacuum died in November. Van making weird noise and idling funny. Searching the KSL Classifieds in January.. Used Washer...$75 Used Vacuum...$20 Van mysteriously stops making noise and idling funny and is running very well! Had a Root Canal last week and Endodontist only charged insurance and wrote off remaining balance because I work for his friend!!! Attended a viewing/party for the family I love and saw wonderful old friends! Got a free Frosty at Wendy's when they gave me the wrong size!! Found a new computer on Craig's List for $20. Yep! Monitor, tower, keyboard and mouse!! Finally got Internet installed on Monday so I can check email and blog. Didn't have to put Kramer to sleep. Turns out it wasn't a stroke. But it is Disk Disease so we're not out of the woods yet. He is not allowed to walk at all. So he stays in his crate on steroids and painkillers and we carry him out to go potty. He has a follow-up check today and I hope he will be allowed to be up a bit. Went to dinner with old friends Angie and Boyd. Got to be gross, funny, and spiritual. The best conversations ever! And finally, Laurel and Natalie both got straight A's this term. There is a funny story behind this. You may recall that Nat and Lol were in their school musical this last November. They are also in the school performing choir Pizazz. Well, as Lolly continued to miss school with rehearsals pr performances her grades began to drop. She would come home and hole up in her room watching movies. Her piano lessons suffered, and her grades were hitting bottom (yes even an "F") and by mid-term we were concerned. So we grounded her from any television until January 19. That meant two months with no TV unless it was a family movie night. Well not only did she do a great job at turning in missed work, she also aced tests and earned extra credit. She has read two Harry Potter's and two other books for school, and we have had the privilege of hearing her practice the piano daily!!! So about a week ago Der and I visited with her to tell her how proud we are of her for getting back on track. As a bonus for doing so great she could have her tv and dvd player back. Well, she nicely declined our offer and said she didn't really want them back. Then term ends and she crams straight A's in our face!!!! What a kid! Six "A's" and two "A-'s." Natty stuck with her personal goal and received another 4.0. She has a personal goal of graduating high school with a 4.0 all four years! So she's an eighth of the way there! I'm trying to go to college in the fall and I recently picked up my transcripts from the old CHS...I remember doing much better in high school! I can't figure out what I did in 10th grade. I didn't do school that's for sure!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Good job on that "catch-up" with grades! Impressive! Good job to mom and dad too, for grounding her from tv. I've been watching hardly any tv for a year now, and I get so much more accomplished. I'm learning to play the guitar, and I go to bed earlier. That tv is the devil, I tell ya.

It was so nice to see you guys earlier this month. I wish I could have seen more of you.

And I'll tell you what you did in 10th grade -- too much "Button" driving during school hours. Am I right? Right? Right.

wjmom said...

Hooray for good news in every way. I know you're going to be a fantastic college student!

The Becks said...

Wow... your kids are amazing. They are determined in a great way and oh so talented. Pass on my congrats on the good grades. Thanks for the inspiration. It's true... good things come in more abundance! Love you guys!