21 September, 2010
I'm a 2nd Degree . . .uh . no belt!
"Lucy! You got some 'splainin to do!"
So last Tuesday night I was just finishing canning salsa and all I had left was to dump out the canner. Somehow as I was pouring out the boiling water it splashed out of the sink onto my belly.
Hello severe 2nd degree burns and over a week in bed. The burn is about 7-8 inches long and 3 inches tall and very sore and ugly. We went to the ER to have it treated and Der decided to donate his right arm while we were there!!
It is right above my belly button which makes it nearly impossibly to wear clothes. I have realized that I am a separates kind of dresser. I own a nightgown and one dress. This is the extent of my waistless wardrobe possibilities. So I have been living in one loose skirt and t-shirts. Sitting is also a painful ordeal. So I spend most of the day horizontal. If the meal is to tricky to navigate reclined, I eat standing up.
It has not been fun. For me or for my sweetheart.
Poor, wonderful, awesome, capable Derek has been running himself ragged. He actually canned more salsa last night on his own so we wouldn't lose our peppers and tomatoes. He gave the boys haircuts Saturday too! On top of all the daily things I do plus his own full time job he is exhausted. I can tell because for the first time in almost 16 years of marriage Derek didn't complete his before bed clothing ritual. Derek hates wrinkles and rumpled clothes. Every night before bed he lays out his clothes for work. He sprays Downey Wrinkle Release on his t-shirt and smooths it perfectly, or he irons it if he's wearing a button down, and then he either irons his shorts if they are tans, or he uses the Downey again if they are denim. But last night, and this is a big deal, he just threw his stuff in the dryer before getting in the shower and then he just lays them sort of straight on the footboard of our bed. His tan shorts have the flaps over the pockets that still had weird folds in them from the laundry (one of his pet peeves. He always irons these perfectly flat.) He still went to more effort than most folks, but for him this was not the norm! I felt like crying! He is a great husband and father.
So this is why I have a 2nd degree no belt.
Our close friends and family have been so great. Lisel thanks for driving the boys (and for the tasty treats!!) I may have to call you one more time!
Thanks for the meals, treats, books, and visits! We love our friends and family.
It's been a week now. It has finally stopped feeling like it was still burning! Now it is just plain sore. I love pain pills! You should have seen the look on the ER doctors face when he was asking me which pain pill I preferred and I said, "Do you really think I will need pain pills?" His face was priceless. Then he said, "You are really going to hurt." I chose Lortab and what a lovely thing has been!
Just thought I'd share. . .
Oh and for fun you should look up "Hot Kool Aid" on you tube and get ready to laugh your head off. Check out this dorks other videos there too. There are too many to name them all but another favorite of mine is "Malk." Yes, I'm a little disturbed (maybe I should lay off the Lortab!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
YIKES! I heard about your burn. I'm glad you're starting to feel better, even a little!
We missed you on Sunday!
~Shelley
Dang, Gina! That's crazy! Sounds really painful and kind of serious. I'm glad it's getting better.
Your hubby is my kind of guy. I'm a fan of ironed clothes.
Lortab is good.
I was so just going to say crap about you marrying Natalie with her ironing fetish but she sort of beat me to it. I love wrinkles! Ok I hate them but I hate ironing more.
So I bet you have so much more sympathy for the poor people who get burned all over their bodies. I can barely handle a little burn on my finger.
Get well soon
Hmmm, maybe I should buy some of that wrinkle release, I HATE ironing! I'm glad you are starting to hurt less - and call me anytime :)
I think that you'll permanently have a red belt, maybe even a pink belt! Hope it continues to get better everyday! Love you!
That's terrible! Hope you are feeling better!
Post a Comment