08 March, 2010

Moving Fences

My Mom has always said that being a parent is all about moving fences. It's true. For example: our young toddlers cannot leave the driveway on their little trikes. Once they graduate to bikes with training wheels we allow them to ride around our cul de sac on the sidewalk. Once the training wheels come off they may ride in the street of the cul de sac. We've been moving some fences lately. . . Lolly can now see some approved PG13 movies. Natalie can now just go to bed when she wants (which is usually around 10 or 10:30. She is still more responsible than most adults. It's hard at times to have a child that is more mature, intelligent, spiritual, and responsible than her mother. I'm still pretty sure that I could take her in an indian leg wrestle.) Nat and Lolly invited everyone they knew to go swimming on Friday and I dropped them off at the pool and picked them up three hours later (a first for sure.) Derek took Bones on a date Saturday night to have "THE TALK." My friend Angie has a very cute blog post about this recent event at her house. Check out "Adventures of the White Family" over on my list to read her account. So Bones has been asking some questions about things he's heard from boys at school. It was either time for us to tell him OUR way or let him learn from school yard talk. Well, it has really been on his mind the last two days as he has been processing. Yesterday Der and the boys were playing "The Game of Life" and Brady still hadn't gotten a child. He casually remarks that maybe he and his wife should "get things going" with a smirk on his face. Oh yeah, and his biggest question for me when he and Der got home Saturday night was "why is it called the birds and the bees?" Why is it called "the birds and the bees?" I'm SO glad that Nat will not be 16 until October of her JUNIOR year. I am not anywhere near ready to move THAT fence. In other news. . . My Best of Buddy Holly CD arrived and I have loved every minute of it!!!

2 comments:

Lisel said...

I'm so glad you mentioned "the talk". I've been on Matt to do the same thing before Zach starts getting false information but it seems so crazy to have to talk to such young kids about such grown-up topics! My brother (a social worker) suggested 8 as a good age, so we've been putting it off a good year now, so we'll have to buck up! Thanks for the shove :) and I'll have to check out your friends experience too. PS Danny is so hilarious!

wjmom said...

The day Nat can take you in an indian leg wrestle is the day I will... Well, I don't know what I'll do. But life as we know it will come to a screeching halt. Good job in moving fences. You are a fabulous mom!